Thursday, July 23, 2026
Foodtopia Moments
Part of my early journey this summer included a layover in Lisbon, Portugal. For lunch, I stopped at a hole-in-the-wall sandwich shop and got a local pork sandwich called a befana. It was simple, yet delicious. The pork was cooked in butter, and very flavorful on its own, but they suggested mustard and that took it to another level. At then end of the meal, I ordered a pastel de nata. I've had them from a Portuguese baker in North Jersey before, and also from Lidl, but this one was next level. The flaky layered pastry of the cup was delicious without the vanilla custard. The custard was perfect the perfect blend of rich and delicate. I culd've eaten a dozen of them. I only had two on the day, and each time I ordered one the people asked me, "only one?" I guess it's odd to only order one, or I look like someone who would order more than one.