Thursday, August 10, 2023

On the way home

 Campomarino 2023 is in the books and I'm in the middle of my route home as I write this in my hotel room in Iceland. On Tuesday morning, my neighbor Fernando drove me to the train station in Termoli. It was a huge help getting a ride, and I thanked him profusely. Before my train ride, I walked around Termoli a little, picked up something to eat for breakfast and lunch onboard the train, and went down for one last view of the castle and the sea.

The train ride to Milan was great. After checking into the hotel, I headed out into Milan for some sightseeing and dinner. As I was walking through the Sforza Castle, I came across an orchestra warming up before their performance that night. I was crossing the courtyard to the sound of Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" played by an orchestra, and it was awesome. 

Yesterday, my flight wasn't until nighttime, so I again went into Milan. This time, I finally went to the Starbucks Reserve Roastery, which is much more of an experience than it sounds. I didn't take any of the classes that they offer, but I watched them roasting beans, and tried some of the treats. Then I went on to the Duomo of Milan. I have been in the cathedral plenty of times, and went back in yesterday. One of my favorite sculptures, of St. Bartholomew with his skin as a toga, is in this church. It's also home to immaculate stained glass windows. For the first time, though, I went to the rooftop terrace of the Duomo. There were amazing views, and I could see the ornate decorations of the Duomo up close. 

My flight last night to Keflavik, Iceland, was wonderful. No turbulence at all, and I was in the exit row so I had plenty of leg room. It was the middle of the night when I got to the hotel, so I'm excited to head out in a few minutes to see if there is anything nearby. It was much darker in the middle of the night this time than last month when I was here. My flight to Newark is tonight at 5, so I have a couple of hours to spend here.