Saturday, August 7, 2021

Foodtopia Moments

There have been a lot of recent moments, but I’ll settle on what I ate yesterday. For pranzo (lunch) I made a chicken cutlet and topped it with pomodorini tagliatte (chopped tomatoes) and fresh buffalo mozzarella. With the leftover uovo (egg), I decided at the last minute to mix in a bunch of zucchini slices and fry them up too. Then I had a side of pasta that I had made the day before. The sauce was pomodorini (little tomatoes), cipolla bianca (white onion), basilico (basil) and olio di oliva (olive oil). Of course some sale marino (sea salt) too. For cena (dinner), my cousin Mario and his wife invited me to dinner with their friends. There is a new Roman style pizza place near me, at the old skating rink that closed at least 15 years ago. The pizza is shaped like a flatbread but it is much thicker than the flatbreads I’m used to back home.. The place has a lot of interesting toppings, like fig, mela (apple), pistachio crumbles, and melograno (pomegranate). The pizza I ordered is called the Caramello, which had bacon (the menu actually says bacon), salsiccia di suino (pork sausage), mozzarella, cipolla caramellata (caramelized onions) and olio di oliva. We also shared the pizza fritta, which had ricotta, provolone, sauce, and salame stuffed inside two thin layers of dough and then fried to a golden brown. I am looking forward to returning and trying that one again.