Monday, August 12, 2024

All Good Things

 The end of any trip is always bittersweet. This summer trip to Italy is no exception. I'm currently writing this from the Hilton Rome Airport where I'm spending the night before my flight home tomorrow. 

Along with my cousins Maryanne and Victoria, I've spent the past few days walking around, dining, and shopping in Florence and Pisa. It was a whirlwind, visiting the Academia to see Michelangelo's masterpiece "David," and tramping through the Boboli Gardens in 105 degree heat. Florence was its usual mix, filled with art and energy, however, after spending time in a sleepy beach town it seems extra busy right now. I've also never seen Pisa as packed as it was yesterday.

When we returned from Pisa to Florence last night we visited one of the city's wine walls where you order your wine or drink through a tiny window in the wall. Once you have your drinks, you stand near the window to drink and are literally introduced to fellow beverage enthusiasts from all over the world, and you just conversate. I spoke to several people from Australia and people from the US. 

Today we made our way south to Rome, but I pretty much just stayed at the airport and hotel, resting and getting ready for my flight. Tomorrow I return to the States, with an appointment to have my tooth extracted on Wednesday.