Monday, August 5, 2024

Beautiful Sites Nearby

 It's been a week. Last week I visited a local who scheduled a tooth extraction for this morning. I hemmed and hawed about the decision to have a procedure done while I was in Italy. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to wait til I returned home. Not because of the actual tooth pull, that I know they can do; my issue was with the recovery. So I switched my flight to return home a week early, and scheduled a dentist appointment for the following morning. 

The end of last week was pretty fun. On Thursday, my cousins Maryanne and Victoria and I set out south to visit the little town of Alberobello. It's home to many trulli, a circular type dwelling with a coned roof. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site that I've visited a few times now. It's always intertesting to walk around and see the village. Every time I go, there seems to be more touristy things there, but it still has it's historical feel. We had a great lunch and continued on our way.

Where we went was the Grotte di Castellana. It's a place I'd only heard of as "the caves near Alberobello." You can only go in at certain times as part of a tour group, for good reason. You descend several stories underground and walk through caves, or grotte, that were created while the land was under the Adriatic Sea 90-100 million years ago. Now it's a dank cave, but what's there is incredible to see. The photos I was able to snap don't do the place justice. 

The following day we spent the morning at Lido Ritz, then headed off to my cousin Arianna's 2nd birthday party. She's my cousin Mario and his wife Cassandra's second daughter. It was in town called San Martino in Pensilis, surrounded by farmland and hillsides. The view was spectacular, the food delicious, and the company amazing.