Sunday, August 9, 2026

Foodtopia Moments

 This is a dish that I made on Friday. It's arguably one of my favorite pasta sauces to make and is known to most locals here since it's a local favorite. It's called Tonno e Caperi (Tuna and Capers), and is very easy and inexpensive to make. Most Italians would probably be upset that I didn't use spaghetti, which is the traditional pasta style for this sauce. Yes, sauces and pastas have partners here. However, I'm not a fan of spaghetti and I think this sauce works great on any pasta. I also sprinkle on some grated cheese. Cue the gasps.

To make Tonno e Caperi, you put a little olive oil in a pot, and add a can of tuna (drained if using tuna in water, all of it if using tuna in oil). Start heating the tuna over medium heat, breaking apart any big clumps. Then add a drained jar of capers and get those heated up and mixed in the tuna. After a couple of minutes of stirring, add in one jar of pomodori passata (crushed tomatoes). One can of crushed tomatoes would work too. Add a little water to the jar or can and add it to the sauce. (I add a pinch of salt, but it's not always necessary with the capers, so wait on the salt til later when the pasta is almost finished.) Stir it all together, and keep it over medium heat. Start your pasta water and cook the sauce for the duration of your pasta prep. It's a simply delicious meal.