Monday, August 15, 2011

All Good Things…




All good things must come to an end. As such, my time in Europe this year is also coming to an end. It has been fun, and exhausting both physically and emotionally. Today I feel drained, but also anxious to get back to the States (first to see family and friends, and second I have Phillies tickets for August 18). Aggie and I are all packed except for a few electronics (like the laptop I am using). We need to shut off the water and power, unplug the fridge, and bring in the patio furniture and bike. The car is already up on blocks and that it the toughest part. This year we managed to do it without injury. However, thanks to the mechanic who worked on the breaks, I cannot remove the tire this year. It was a security measure, but our car gate is more secure this year, so we do not need to take the tire off.

Today is the big Italian holiday of Ferragosto. Everyone in the condos around me is eating outside like us. We had pasta, chicken, eggplant, and beets. It was delicious. It is customary to eat chicken this holiday. We made it to the beach this morning as I took one last dip in the Adriatic for this year.

Last night, Aggie and I were too tired to head into Termoli, so we stayed in Campomarino and went to see the latest circus that is visiting (the fifth this summer). Circus Arbell was pretty interesting. For seven Euros it was worth every penny. They had a bunch of acts including a jungle cat exhibition. As they were setting up the protective cage for the lions and tigers, the circus opened up their traveling zoo for only one Euro. We were able to go behind the scenes of a traveling circus to see the animals from the show.

Tomorrow morning around 6 a.m. we are leaving the beach for the hustle and bustle of Rome. Normally I am put off by all of the activity, but I think the cruise prepared me for a tourist trap city. Rome is nice, until you leave it and see nicer.