Saturday, August 10, 2019

Northern Italian Excursion

Though I began this week at the beach, and I’m ending it there as well, there was an excursion north to pick up my sister Melissa. On Tuesday, I began my day at 7 a.m. with a 30 minute walk to the train station here in Campomarino. It is usually only a 20-25 minute walk, but a train was passing so I had to wait while the barrier was down. With a bus substituting for the train that morning, I had a 15 minute bus ride to Termoli, where there is a much bigger train station. In Termoli, I stopped for breakfast at my favorite paneficio (bakery) in town, and ate a piece of pizza for breakfast while overlooking the castle of Federico II. I grabbed some sandwiches at a local salumeria (deli) and set out for Milan via train. It was scheduled as a 6 hour trip, and we left right on schedule. However, while on the train we experienced delays that got me to Milan more than 90 minutes late. Luckily, I had a wide open schedule so I didn’t need to cancel anything.

Melissa arrived on Wednesday, and we spent most of the day relaxing and catching her up on sleep. Then we had a great drinks and dinner, and went back to the hotel. It was a relaxing day that we both needed.

Juliet's Balcony
Piazza Erbe
On Thursday, we pushed out of Milan in our new rental car, a Renault Captur, and headed off to Verona a couple of hours away. We walked the city for 2 hours (the time we had on the parking meter), seeing highlights like Pizza Erbe, Piazza Bra, Juliet’s Balcony and Juliet’s Tomb, and then grabbed a bite to eat off of a street vendor. It ended up being a day of snacks instead of meals. We then hopped back in the car and headed to Campomarino. We had a 6 and a half hour drive to get back and it seemed to go on and on. We had a problem with the radio at one point, with all of the controls freezing, no ability to control station and volume or back up camera. After the station we had on turned to static, we stopped at a rest stop and had a cammionista (truck driver) help us undo the battery cable. I had no tools with me for that and was still 5 hours from home. The radio finally turned off, something it wasn’t doing even with the keys out and doors open. We encountered a little traffic in the beginning, but for most of the day the roads were nice and clear. When we got back to the house, we headed into the center of town for a piece of pizza for dinner. Somehow, I managed to drive 9 hours and still walk 16,000 steps in the same day.

Yesterday was nice as we went for a walk in the morning and then headed to the beach. Lido Ritz had a happy hour special yesterday with three Aperol Spritz for only 10 euros. They hit the spot on a nice, sunny day. After the beach we went to the center of town, had pizza at Ristorante Netti, and then tried gelato from the two gelato places in the center of town. Both were delicious.