Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Everybody Hates Delays

 For the second time on my long trek back to New Jersey, my travel plans have it a snag. First there was the train cancellation from Milano Centrale to the Milano Airport where my hotel is. That was an easy fix, as I just got into a taxi and headed to the hotel. I woke up this morn ing to a text message, email, and notification from the United app that my flight was delayed three hours. Looking at the bright side, I was able to drop off my bags, go back to the hotel and have a proper breakfast and enjoy some more time in the room, and they even gave me a $14 voucher to use in the airport restaurants.  Everybody hates delays, but thankfully I booked the hotel connected to the airport and don't need to sit by a gate for five hours. I did shell out the extra $19 for Premier Access. Throws me into boarding group 2, and I had no wait to check in my bags. The regular line was 25 people long, so the money was well worth it already.

Yesterday was a beautiful day. The sun was shining and the temperature was in the mid 80s. It was a national holiday here in Italy called Ferragosto. I spent the day walking around Milan, visiting the park in back of the Sforza Castle, then heading to the Piazza del Duomo. I then went to the fancy department store la Rinascente to do some last minute shopping for gifts. I walked about 14,000 steps then had lunch and the first gelato in weeks. I literally hadn't eaten gelato since my cousins returned home on July 24. 

I'm about to straighten up the room, do a last once over (not sure where I'd put anything since my luggage is already checked), and freshen up a bit. Hopefully no further delays.