Monday, August 15, 2022

On the Long Road Back

The road back to New Jersey is a long one each year. Yesterday morning, I woke up, finished closing the house, and boarded a train for Milan. It was about five and a half hours on the train, and the trip was going smoothly. In the Milano Centrale train station, I purchased my ticket for the train that heads to the airport where my hotel is, and made my way toward that binario (track). As I was walking over to the train I looked up to double check the departure time. That's when I saw that the trains to the airport were canceled. 

In the Trenord company office, they suggested I take my three bags onto the subway to a different train station. Not wanting to walk around Milan and head into subways with all of my luggage, I decided to hire a taxi. It was much more comfortable, quicker, and better air conditioned. I was able to use the ticket I had purchased later in the day.

My last day in Campomarino on Saturday was bittersweet. I'm looking forward to heading home, but it's always sad to leave the house. I had a good summer there this year. I only saw the beach on Saturday during my morning walk. It was tranquil and beautiful. But within a couple of hours we had clouds, strong winds and rain. So I didn't miss a day at the beach working in the house closing things up. 

Today my plan is to head into Milan to walk around and have dinner. I was going to eat at the hotel then go right up to bed. But I found out yesterday that a lot will be open in Milan even though it is Ferragosto, a national holiday here. Tomorrow I fly home.