Monday, August 6, 2012

Foodtopia Moments



For pranzo (lunch) today, I made one of my favorite Italian dishes, called spaghetti carbonara. I researched some recipes, and kind of made a variation using the ingredients I had on hand. It was a total success and hit the spot. I first cooked up the pancetta, while the water for pasta boiled. A trick that most recipes mentioned was salting the pasta water well, because the dish does not call for any added salt.  When that was done, I made the sauce using a little heavy cream, two eggs, a little olive oil, black pepper, and pecorino Romano cheese. I whisked that mixture around until it was well mixed together. Once the pasta cooked, I drained it and immediately added it to the egg, cream, and cheese mixture. As I tossed it all together, I added the cooked pancetta and fresh chopped parsley. It sounds intricate, but it was easy to make and tasted delicious.