Friday, August 3, 2012

Patio tanning


This morning was our last Friday market of the summer. We bought some items to eat here over the next few days, and a couple of things to pack in the suitcase to bring to the US. I have a feeling Mom and I are both leaving clothes behind to make a lighter load in the suitcase, thus making room for gifts. I know I’ve lost a bottle of mouthwash, a large thing of powder and about 12 oz of gel deodorant, as I’ve been using those things here and will leave behind what’s left. Mom and I also picked up some fresh veggies. We got over four pounds of pomodorini (small tomatoes), one pound of fagiolini (string beans), one meloni giallo (yellow or canary mellon), one cipolla Bianca (white onion), two big heads of trocadero lettuga (bib or butter lettuce depending on store), and a fistful of basilica (basil) and prezemolo (parsley) for 8 Euros ($10 dollars). I also realize that I’ve spent maybe a bit too much time here. I went up to the vendor and immediately grabbed a bag not waiting, filled it, and then cut the line to pay. It was what everyone else was doing and no one seemed to mind.

When we got back from our morning shopping, I decided that getting all sandy at the beach was not appealing, so I did some patio tanning. I started with topless gardening and chopping down some fast-growing vines, then I did topless sweeping, as I cleaned off the patio. When I was done, I sat in one of the patio chairs, and let the tanning rays rain down on me. I feel the heat as I was already pretty tan.

Tonight we did some of our last shopping here for the year. It’s always a crapshoot of what to get when you never know who is coming to dinner, or who is going to host you. At this point we open what’s necessary and watch expiration dates when we buy things. We went to Lidl, which is a German owned store. It’s a lot like and Aldi in the US, and the prices are tough to beat when compared with other supermarkets.