Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Too windy to surf



When we went to bed last night, we noticed that it was windy outside. This morning was much the same. I was planning on hitting the beach today, but the wind tat we had, I knew it would be futile to sit on blowing sand and water that is too agitated to go into. My second choice was basketball, but the court is on the beach and the wind would just mess with the ball too much. So I went with choice three, biking.

I hopped on my bike and headed over to the port to see if there was any action there. No action there and I was off to the Aloha Park Hotel to use the bankomat (ATM). It is the only one in town, and evidently it is popular. I was about the 7th person in line when I decided to return home, get in the car and head to Campomarino sopra and use one of their multitude (well like five) of ATMs. On the way I stopped for a panorama photo of Campomarino Lido with the Adriatic Sea behind it. I got cash, returned home again, and was off on my bike. I went for nectarines first, and then off to the bakery for bread, then the butcher. I’m cooking for the family on Sunday and needed brasciola.

Zia came down after lunch and we went out looking for a mensola (shelf) for her bathroom and bedroom. My first thought would’ve been a store like Home Depot or Lowes, where her first thought was a factory for custom built shelves. They told her to head to a Brico (a Home Depot-like store), so we headed over to Bricopoint. She found plenty of shelves, and much like Home Depot, it took us nearly 10 minutes to find an employee to help.

The biggest news of the day is that the little green car, my uncle’s FIAT 500 that my dad used to use is no longer here. It’s now at the auto graveyard. Keeping a car that both I and my Aunt can’t drive, and was non-transferable because of Italian law stopped making sense. It was great for my father to use for four months at a time, but was not feasible for our current needs.

Tonight was a full meeting of family from three parts of the world at my place. Mom and I hosted Zia and my cousin Vincenzo from Torremaggiore and his wife Mariella their daughters Erica and Mila, and my Aunt Dini and cousin Mariella and her younger son Elio. It was a fun and busy night of conversations in three languages (Italian primary, and English and Dutch side conversations).