Saturday, July 20, 2019

Foodtopia Moments

One thing that I will always do well in Italy is eat. Sure, I eat well everywhere. However, the well I’m writing about is a quality not quantity well. The food here is different because of the access to good ingredients. I fortunately do not live in a food dessert, however most of the year my fruits and veggies are picked early, sprayed with chemicals to look ripe and are sold to me with little flavor. Not here. In Italy they’re picked ripe and sold full flavored.

Yesterday was a great day food wise. For pranzo (lunch), I made a local classic sauce, tonno e capperi (tuna and capers). I’m making the assumption that the dish is local to this area as I’ve never seen it on a restaurant menu. It’s very basic. Start by putting some olive oil in pot, then add a can of tuna (if in water, drain it first). Let the tuna sizzle a little, then add a small, drained jar of capers. Lit those cook together a bit, like 2 minutes stirring often. Then add a bottle of pomodori passata (crushed tomatoes). Put in a small amount of salt and about half of the bottle or can of water. Let the sauce come to a boil, stirring it, then let it simmer while the pasta water heats and the pasta cooks.

People who know the dish will probably think this is sacrilege, but I put it over fusili pasta, not spaghetti. I’m not a long pasta fan, besides fresh tagliatelle, so I figured it’s just a different shape. It might have coated the pasta even better in this shape.

Last night, Zia and I headed into Termoli to walk around. It was the last night I had the rental car, so we made the most of it. I left my phone in the car, and realized when I was in the middle of the castle and wanted to photograph the sunset. I only ate half of my sandwich last night, the other half tonight so I snapped a photo today. I went back to Eattico and this time got their Polponauta panini. This panini had polipo al vapore (steamed octopus), patate al vapore (smashed, steamed potatoes), cedono (celery) and salsa Eattico. The flavors may seem strange and not earthshaking, but this is my favorite of the sandwiches they offer. I’m always surprised at how good the celery is on the sandwich as it’s not a topping that I ever use.