Thursday, July 18, 2019

Getting Out and About

The past few days have been really busy here. I’ve been trying to relax when I can, and write when I have the motivation. The mornings have been filled with runs to different stores like supermarkets and BriccOK (like Home Depot or Lowes). I’ve taken Zia to the supermarket three times. After the first time she made a list of what she wanted. But she only bought one of each thing. I told her then that she should buy more so she has stuff next month. So we went back to the supermarket and, besides bottled water (which is super cheap – like as low as 17 cents for a 2 liter bottle cheap), she bought one of each thing again.

Tuesday was Zias birthday. It rained pretty hard in the morning, flooding the parking lot, so I did some projects in her house like hanging a new picture in her bedroom. I went that afternoon to the beach club and talked to the representative about renting an umbrella and chairs starting in August. I went back on Wednesday and changed it to start today, figuring that even if I have something to do part of the day, I will still have time to go lay on the beach and read part of the day as well. We finished Tuesday with a visit to Ristorante Netti for Zia’s birthday.

Wednesday was a much nicer morning. It was sunny and not too hot. We attempted to co pay some bills. The Municipio (municipal building) has been closed due to damage from the earthquakes last year and this year. So we had to find their new offices. Unfortunately what we wanted to do there we couldn’t. However, it can be done after the summer. We also attempted to go to the water company to get a copy of the bill to bring to the bank for payment. We got there at 9:30 to find a sign with hours on the door. On Wednesdays and Fridays they open at 11, or possibly later. It literally said, or possibly later.

While we were out shopping after unsuccessfully attempting to get some bills paid, the gardener was taking care of the cleanup. He had the township bring their truck and they filled it with scraps. Then he filled three huge bags with leaves, weeds and scraps from the garden. Giovanni the Gardener did a great job. I then swept the patio, and mopped it before setting up all of the tables and chairs, and putting a bike outside. Looks much better now, but I know my mom would be very unhappy with the trees I had cut down. The fence guy needs a clear path and these trees had overgrown the garden. I still remember photos of my mom posing by them, but they were just about her height then. Now they had grown to double that size.

Last night I took the car and went to Termoli. Zia wasn’t feeling well so it was a solo trip. There was a beautiful sunset and the castle town looked as vibrant and beautiful as ever. I ate, people watched, and walked through a thousand year old part of town. There was a full moon over the port, and the main strip of town was in full summer mode. I finished the night off with a delicious gelato from my favorite gelateria in the world – Yo-Go.

Today was my first day at the beach. I went for a long walk and to the store this morning, and then hit the beach after lunch for a few hours. It was too windy to swim today, but it felt great on the beach. I’ll be at umbrella 117 this summer.