Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Un Giorno in Roma

My last day in Campomarino yesterday was marred by massive thunderstorms which flooded the parking lot by my house, and halted my planned trips to the beach and to Ristorante Netti. So I spent most of the day and night preparing the house for the winter.

My cab was waiting for me when I walked out of my place at 5:20 this morning. The guy had me to the bus station about a half hour before my bus. Luckily, the summer is ending, and the bus was only half full. I didn’t need to share my row with anyone, and I was able to sleep through most of the 4-hour ride. Add on the 45 minute train ride to the airport from the Roma Tiburtina bus station, and I finally arrived at the hotel.

I was one of only six guests to take the 2 p.m. hotel shuttle to the center of Rome. There I did my shopping. I bought rosaries, shirts, pens, and Papa Francesco calendars. Then I went to Piazza Navona for lunch at Ristorante Tre Scalini. Just as I left the restaurant, in bright sunlight, the rain came only a little at first. Then the sun disappeared, and the heavens opened, leaving me in a rainstorm, shopping, with no coverage. I passed a street merchant and got fleeced for a crappy umbrella that I later tossed in the garbage. While in the city, I did manage to see the Pantheon, Monument to Vittorio Emmanuelle, and the Spanish Steps.


Because of the rain, and some last minute shopping, I missed the 5 p.m. shuttle back to the hotel, so I took the metro to Roma Termini and headed back on the Leonardo Express train direct to the airport.  It’s amazing how much nicer the train from Roma Termini, which is the express for visiting tourists, is than the train from Roma Tiburtina to the airport. This is where I will spend my last night in Italy. My flight leaves in the morning.