Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Trip to the "Big City"

When you spend a month in Campomarino Lido, Marlton, NJ seems like New York. Today we took Zia back to her house in San Severo which is a pretty big town (in relation to here) about 40 minutes south and west. It was hot and dry there. Oh, and for some reason, the laws against prostitution do not seem to apply to the road we needed to take there. We must have passed at least 20 women standing on the side of the road at various spots in all different stages of undress, some even waving down trucks to pull over. While there, we also visited Tre G, a sort of home store my mom has wanted to go to since she arrived.

Yo-Go Gelateria in Termoli (CB), Italy
After we got back and had lunch, I continued reading  Dan Brown’s “Inferno” until I took about a half hour, snore-filled nap. Then we went shopping. I got a mouse for the computer (left mine at home) and then took Zia to the Vodafone store in Termoli. After a long passiagiatta (walk) through the old city, we stopped for gelato. It was so good that I wanted to take a photo so I could show everybody. I spoke with the owner and he immediately brought me behind the counter and had his wife take a photo of us. Judging by his trophies for gelato, and the passion he has when he discusses the ever changing flavor options, this man is an expert in his field. The photo only shows about a third of the gelato choices available.


To top the night off, we got a visit from the Monaco’s, close family friends of ours. It was great to see them again.