Sunday, July 14, 2013

Paradise Lost (at least for a little while)

The paradise that was the weather here has been lost, at least for a little while. I awoke to the sound of things crashing on my patio, and went outside to find our clothes drying rack and trash can turned over from wind. It was pouring, a full thunderstorm.

My whole life, I’ve been under the impression that Italians are good at handicapping odds. Somehow they got the weather wrong. A 20% chance for rain turned into a morning of storms. By mid day it had cleared up but throughout the afternoon we have been under cloudy skies.


The other part of the day was spent with family. Just before we ate lunch, my father’s cousin rode by on his bike and stopped in for a little while. Luigi is different than many Italians his age from their town, he is an accomplished world traveler. Then after lunch, My cousin Renato stopped by with his family and my cousin Vincenzo came by with his family. Once the dust settled, Mom and I headed into town to reserve a birthday cake for Zia and for a quick bite. Then we ended the night by browsing all of the African street vendors to see what we are looking at this year. I smell more watches.