Monday, July 22, 2013

Cemetery Tour and History Lesson

Grave of Ferdinando Sacco
(of Sacco and Vanzetti)
Example of a fallen soldier's grave from WWI
We got up early this morning and went on a circle tour of cemeteries, stopping in Campomarino, San Severo and Torremaggiore to visit our dearly departed relatives and family friends. The annual trip is one that always reminds me that life is precious as I see cousins who passed younger than me and around my age.

Part of the trip was also like a history lesson, as in I got to see a whole wall of the San Severo cemetery that displays the remains of the town’s fallen soldiers from the Grande Guerra (the Big War or WWI). In Torremaggiore, the grave of Ferdinando Sacco’s (of Sacco and Vanzetti – if you haven’t heard of them, Google it and demand your history teacher be fired) bears a monument presented to the townspeople by Michael Dukakis, then Governor of Massachusetts. The monument basically says, “we were wrong, and we are deeply sorry.”
The wall of San Severo's fallen WWI soldiers


Considering my job as a Special Ed/History teacher, and considering all of the history that I saw today and photos I will use in lessons, can I now use this entire trip as a tax write-off? I’ll also be heading to the Anne Frank house in August so can I count that trip too? CPAs please advise.