Thursday, July 25, 2013

Foodtopia Moments



Panino Kebab
Kebab food truck
Hot dog stand
At the Festa di Santa Cristina, it is clear that Italians have taken a liking to street cart food. One cart offered cows tongue with lemon. Many others offered crepes with Nutella. Some sold porchetta (whole roasted seasoned pig), while others sold grilled sausages, hot dogs, hamburgers and torcinella (liver wrapped in cows veins, which is surprisingly delicious). I went for the mac daddy, the Panini kebab. Italians have truly taken to this food which I believe originated in Turkey. The sandwich had seasoned peppers, eggplant, and mushrooms, along with fresh tomatoes and the kebab meat. I topped mine off with a little ketchup and kebeb sauce, which is a little like a runny mayonnaise mixed with spices. When I got done I wanted another one but resisted as I passed four more kebeb trucks on the way back to the car.