Friday, August 3, 2018

A Day at the Sea

As I was using the Internet on my phone last night, I got a message that I had used up all of my data allowance. It didn’t throttle the speed, it flat out stopped the data connection altogether. This set the tone for my morning. Needing to re-up my data plan, I headed into Termoli, the next town north. After a mile and a half walk, and a train ride, I was in the “big” city. It just so happens that today was the start of the San Basso festival in Termoli. Once I was finished in the Vodafone store, where the lady game me 30 gigs of data for free for the next month, I trekked over to the port to watch the end of the processional at sea. Tomorrow, there will be a band and priests and thousands of people descending on the town as they carry the bones of San Basso throughout the town. Today, the bones were loaded onto a ship and brought out to sea followed by dozens more boats loaded with people celebrating and shooting water at each other. By the time I arrived, the boats were all docking in the port and people were celebrating with Peroni at the port by San Basso’s boat. I had time in the city before my train, so I actually went down and hung out in the party for a little while.
After returning to Campomarino, Zia and I had lunch then I went to the beach. Using the free WiFi at Lido Ritz, I’ve been able to keep up with some YouTube channels I like. Not to mention, I’m midway through my second book of the summer. It started slow and elementary, but “Beneath a Scarlet Sky” is getting better. It’s inspired by true events in the Life of an Italian during Nazi occupation during World War II without being a true story.


Tomorrow looks to be a total beach day, and maybe start my next script. I’ve been busy developing the characters since my last draft was finished last weekend.