Thursday, August 16, 2018

Blame it on the Rain

The past few days have been filled with clouds, rain, and thunderstorms. It’s actually thundering outside as I write this. On Tuesday, I went out to get the food that I was cooking for yesterday’s Ferragosto feast. When I got back to the house, I heated up some leftovers, and got ready to head to the beach. I walked outside and saw my neighbors putting away things that can’t get wet and within minutes it was pouring.

Ferragosto, the big Italian summer holiday every August 15, was yesterday. Zia, Mariella and Nick came over to celebrate. Chicken is a traditional food of the day, so I made some gravy with chicken brasciole and chicken meatballs. Plus I roasted some chicken with an apple wood rub and honey. The rain held off for the time we spent together, but alas it returned overnight and all day today.


Because the rain limits what I can really do around here, I have started my closing ceremonies for the condo this year. I leave on Saturday morning, so I took down the fan blades for the outdoor ceiling fan, and secured one of the windows for the offseason and brought in trash cans and a table. I’ve packed my bags, and researched the IEPs of my students for this coming school year. If the weather was better, I’d have hit the beach for three days. Instead, I’ve been steadily completing things on my to-do list. I’ve completed two feature length scripts this summer, and I’m halfway done my third novel in less than a month.