Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Another One in the Books

Every great time must come to an end, and for me that end is tomorrow. I’m heading back to the States, happy to be heading home to see loved ones and great friends, sad that my time exploring new things is over. The past few days have been kind of a whirlwind.

Saturday morning began with a morning car ride to a bus terminal in Termoli. The Campomarino house is all closed down for the offseason, with anything of value heading inside until next summer. Thank you to my neighbor Fernando for the ride into Termoli. It was much appreciated. Flash forward five hours, and I was getting on a shuttle outside of Roma Fiumicino Airport heading to the Marriott. It was my birthday, and the Marriott desk agent recognized it was my birthday, so she upgraded my room, and had a fancy dessert sent to my room. I went out on the town for dinner, but headed back because I had a 3:15 wake up time to get to the Roma Ciampino airport the next morning.

Sunday started off early. I had a few hours of sleep, and was able to sleep on the plane. So when I got to London, I hit the ground running. I had prepared a list of places and things I wanted to do each day, and day one I completed the list. I ended the night trying different gins at The Shakespeare Pub.

Monday was a much easier, later wakeup time I got a nice night of sleep, and was able to have an English breakfast of Eggs Benedict before heading to Harrod’s Department Store, The British Museum, the London Eye, and even went to see a musical, “Bat Out of Hell,” which is based off of Meat Loaf songs. It was really good, and I got to see it pre-Broadway. The drawback to seeing the show is that I had to be up at 2 am to catch a coach bus out to the Stansted Airport, which was about an hour and a half from my hotel. I made the 3 am bus, slept most of the way, and waited for the gate announcement. Stansted has a large waiting area, and about 40 minutes before the flight, they announce the gate. Basically they announce the gate just before they are ready to board. It was surprisingly organized.

Today, I spent the day in Rome. Wanting to keep with the theme of doing something new, I headed to Piazza Navona Underground. It is an excavated section of the old stadium that sat where Piazza Navona, my favorite Roman square, now sits. It’s ancient ruins, but it was still neat to see. The site opened to the public four years ago, but I haven’t been spending too many days there over the past few years, as we were flying to Milan for the cost savings. This year, Rome was cheaper so I had the time in Rome to see the site. I also saw the Spanish Steps, the Coliseum, the Arch of Constantine, the Forum, St. Peters Square, and the Bridge of Angels.


This summer had some very relaxing times on the beach, and I accomplished my goal of writing two scripts. Coupled with the two and a half books I’ve read, it was pretty productive way to recharge the batteries. Tomorrow morning I head back to New Jersey, with a layover in Atlanta on the way.