Monday, August 13, 2018

Family Reunion

This weekend was a great one for family. My cousin Mariella, her husband Nik, and Zia had lunch together yesterday. It was delicious and one of the few times we’ve all had lunch together this summer, which is the first time we’ve all been in Campomarino since, I think, 2014.


Every family has that time when people don’t speak to each other, or don’t see each other. Our family is no different. In 2016, I was fortunate enough to see my Zio Matteo for the first time in 11 years. Today, Mariella, Nik and I rode out to Zio’s house for a visit. While there, we also got to see our cousin Mariella (yes another Mariella – Zio Matteo’s daughter) and her husband Marco. In 2002, 2003, and 2005, we spent many nights in Italy together. I haven’t seen them since. After a nice visit with Zio, who is 90 years young, we went to my cousin Roberto’s house. We’ve spent plenty of nights together in America and Italy over the years, but haven’t seen each other since 2005. I got to see his wife Anna, and his family too. His little girl Serena is now 18, and he has two boys, Lorenzo (10), and Massimo (6). I had never met the boys. Roberto asked me how my journalism job was and it dawned on me that I’ve changed careers since we last saw each other. It was great spending the day with family.