Monday, July 3, 2023

Foodtopia Moments

 Today was a great foodie day. I took a walking tour of Reykjavik, Iceland tasting traditional foods. We started off with lamb stew, and a rye flatbread with sliced smoked lamb with butter. I didn't get a photo of those, but they were delicious, with the lamb in the stew melting in my mouth. 

Our next stop was for fish. The dish was a white fish with potatoes and spices, and it was served with a semi-sweet rye bread. The bread was dense, but the little hint of sweetness worked well with the saltiness of the fish. This was the place where they also gave us a taste of their local shark. It has a pungent taste and smell, so I'm glad t was just a small sample.

We then went out for hot dogs. Now, I know you're probably thinking why would this be on a food tour, but it is a must try if you come to Iceland. There are places to get the traditional lamb hot dogs throughout the city. The place we went to had a very long line and is considered to be the best one. The topping offered are ketchup, a sweet brown mustard, a relish infused remoulade, crunchy fried onions, and raw onions. Simple, but delicious. I actually stopped at another location of the same company for a second one later on. The location we went to is famous for being the place where Bill Clinton stopped, unplanned, and got a hot dog with mustard and told them it was the best hot dog he's ever had. I might have to agree with him as the flavor was perfect.

We then went off to a bar for the last foods of the tour. We tried a lamb tar tar on toast with pickle on top, and smoked salmon on semi-sweet rye with a dill mayo, fresh dill, and homemade pickled onions. Then they brought out dessert, a delightful creampuff with a dollop of strawberry preserves. 

On the way home, I stopped at a busy local ice cream shop. I got a cup with pistachio (which I enjoyed, but have had better), rye bread which was really good with bits of the semi-sweet rye bread in the ice cream, and skyr with rhubarb which was fantastic. I walked down to the seawall to eat the ice cream with an incredible view.