Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Foodtopia Moments

 On Sunday, I saw a steak at the butcher shop, but I already had meat thawed so I said to myself, "wait til Tuesday." As I thought about how I'd cook the steak without a grill and really no broiler, I kept coming back in my mind to the seasoning. I finally decided to buy some heavy cream, and make my own seasoned finishing butter. I'd seen a reel on Instagram on how to do it so I put it to the test. I walked three miles to the store and back in 100 degree heat to get heavy cream, dried chives, and garlic powder. I put it all in a clean jar along with a little salt, and shook it for about 5 minutes making a decent amount of butter. I poured out the remaining liquid, which at that point is buttermilk, and put it in the fridge overnight. I seasoned the steak with salt, sautéed up some white and red onions in white wine and some butter, seared the steak in a hot pan, then finished it in an oven at 425 degrees. I added the butter on top right before putting it in the oven. When it came out of the oven, I continued to spoon the melted butter all over the steak. It was one of the best steaks I've ever cooked. Medium on the inside and full of flavor. 
Butter in the jar