Monday, July 17, 2023

Heat wave and family dinner

It's been a few days since my last post, and I haven't left town in that time span. I mentioned my plan to visit Zia at her house, but never made it. I got my things together, packed up the lunch I had bought for us they day before, made it to the train station about 20 minutes early and noticed the screen said the train was cancelled. Other passengers there said they'll probably substitute it with a bus. They did not, and it was one of many canceled trains on Wednesday and Thursday last week due to a train workers strike. My plan is to visit her this week instead. 

Last Friday was the first Friday flea market for me of the season. It's like the last spot that inflation hasn't hit. Everything was the same prices as the past few years. I love walking through the open air market looking for things I might want for the house here, but this time I just bought some paper towels and some linens.

I've spent my days walking, reading (one book "Blood and Honor" done), writing a screenplay (30 pages drafted), cooking, and getting to the beach for a few hours a day. Italy is going through a heatwave, with temps in the 90s most days, and today, though only 88 degrees, had a heat index of 111.  Very humid day. Even the water was warm today.

I finally had some pizza last night, my first cheese pizza since I got here.  I had only had breakfast focaccia pizza. Yesterday was Zia's birthday and also her saint's day. My cousin Luigi's wife is also named Carmela so he threw a party in her honor at his place here in town last night. Even met his son Leonardo for the first time. It was a great time, and it's amazing how much I'm understanding this year. Sometimes I'm even thinking in my broken Italian. I got back to my place at almost 12:30 last night, which kind of setup an odd morning.

My neighbors were out yesterday afternoon when I left for my cousin Luigi's house on foot. And when I came home, they had already gone to bed. I put my sleep mask over my eyes when I went to bed to block out any light in the morning, and slept until about 8:30. I didn't get moving quickly and about 9:30 Zia calls me to find out where I am. Then my doorbell started ringing. Evidently my neighbors were concerned since they hadn't seen me since yesterday morning so they rang my doorbell and called Zia, and she called me.  At that point I was about to hang up some laundry and head out on my walk. At least I know my neighbors are looking out for me, just need to be up before 8:30 I guess.