Saturday, July 29, 2023

To Termoli then back again

 The heat finally broke a little. Still it's very sunny, but instead of temps hovering around 100, they've been in the high 80s to 90s, great for the beach since there has been a little breeze. I have been doing more reading, lots of walking, and finished a second book. Onto book number 3.

On Thursday, I went to Termoli in the morning. I wanted to make sure my phone and internet had enough money in the account to just automatically renew for the next month. I don't put it on my credit card as a monthly fee since I don't like the idea of having to call and write to cancel service. Much easier to just let the service run out. I also wanted to use the ATM since there is none in my town, and head to the shopping mall called La Fontana. It was one of my mom's favorite places to visit, and I've always like their supermarket best. This time of year they always have good school supplies, but I was really there looking for something to bring back for the dogs. Yes, I bring my dog a gift from Italy every year. I walked around the town again, and had another small gelato and delicious focaccia slice for breakfast before heading back to Campomarino.

Friday morning, I noticed that my internet was not working. I thought maybe it was downloading an update, and checked again after spending the morning on the beach. Still wasn't working. This meant another trip to Termoli. Without a car, I'm dependent on the train schedule. I used my phone to check the schedule and noticed that I had an hour and a half to shower, dress, and get to the train station a mile and a half away on foot. Or wait until Saturday morning. I hadn't been to Termoli in the evening yet this year, so I decided to get ready quick and head out.

Termoli was still basically asleep when I arrived around 4. I went right to the Vodafone store, handled the internet issue, and then decided to walk around.  By that time, the town was humming. I first went to a different mall. I remember this mall, Lo Scrigno, really fascinating me 21 years ago when I first saw it. It had three levels and all of the stores were open. There were moving walkways to take you up to the second level, and stairs to the third. When I got there yesterday, I instantly remembered a conversation I had with my dad back in 2002 when we first went there. I told him then that the place was incredible, but that no way on earth the Italians maintain it. I was right. There's only one store left open in the second level, and a doctor's office. Only two of the six moving walkways are operational. The paint on the building is faded and chipping away to rust. Sad state to see the place in. It was, however, still bustling with people and the wood fired rotisserie chicken stand in the parking lot is still open. 

After leaving Lo Scrigno, I went looking for different gifts for the dogs. I really didn't like the selection at the supermarket the day before, so I went to an actual pet store that I remembered from last year. They delivered and I was able to get something for the boys (and girl). Still, I had a couple of hours before the bus ride back to town. I walked down toward the water, and over to the area inside the castle town walls. I parked myself outside of an 800 year old church and had a Crudino, a bitter orange drink. They were setting up for a film festival in the piazza. I people watched, and finished the last few pages of the book I was reading.  On my way back to the bus, I stopped for some gelato. This time, Yo Go Gelateria had all of their flavors available. I had pistachio, stracciatella, and ricotta and fig. The last flavor was incredible. 

When I got back to town, I ran into my cousin Gino and talked with him for a little while before grabbing a couple of slices of pizza and heading home. I had walked more than 49,000 steps in two days and needed a little rest. Tonight my plan is to straighten up my place and prepare for Zia's arrival tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing her and my cousins tomorrow.