Monday, July 3, 2023

On top of the world

 Sitting by the seawall today watching ships go by, birds feast on small fish, and admiring the mountainous region across from me, It hit me that this is the closest I've ever been tom the top of the world. Iceland is filled with natural beauty, and I'm looking forward to exploring the wonders she has to offer over the next two days. Today, however, I did a walking tour of Reykjavik, the biggest city in the country. 

Being somewhat of a foodie, I selected a traditional foods walking tour. Each spot was delicious, and I really enjoyed the items, some more than I thought I would. The tour guide was filled with information, helped me get a lay of the land, and gave me a great sense of what the native Icelanders are like.

After the tour, I walked around the downtown area, heading back in the direction of my hotel. I stopped at the Magic Ice Bar, which was figuratively and literally cool. Sadly, I was the only person in the place. One thing I am still not used to is the brightness. It's cold out, high was 58 today with wind so it felt much colder and the temp dropped as the day went on. But, the sun was still up at 10 pm like it was 4 in the afternoon at home.

The Fosshotel Reykjavik is nice and clean, and maybe the most European thing about this country so far. It's not quite Europe here, and not quite North America, but has hints of both.