Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Sun, heat, and lots of writing

 The past few days have been really hot, topping out today with temps over 105 before the heat index.  All week its been in the 90s to a little over 100, with a heat index usually between 105 and 113. Opposite of what I'd probably do in America, I did spend a lot of time outdoors heading into the water, tanning, and reading on the beach.

Last Friday, I had someone come to fix the air conditioner here at the house. Sadly, it was unfixable, and I needed a new unit. The same guys who were here to look at my AC were also here to install a new AC unit at my neighbor's house. While they worked, my neighbor was nice enough to drive me to the store to buy a new climatizadore (air conditioner) at the local Euronics store in Termoli. By 5:30 Friday afternoon, I had a new AC unit.

On Saturday night, I joined my cousin Mario, his wife Cassandra, and their kids, along with a group of their friends for some pizza in town. I was my first time to go to this place, at the very southern end of town. The pizza was ok, but it was a great night. And I got to hold my little cousin Arianna, who I hadn't seen since she was a little less than two weeks old. Now she's almost a year old and cute as can be.  

The beach was packed this weekend, but the past couple of days have been hot with a really hot breeze. The wind has been so strong that today none of the beach clubs had their umbrellas open. I managed to just chill on the bar patio at the beach club and got some writing prep done for a second script. That's write (pun), I completed my first script of the summer on Sunday evening. I now have seven feature length film scripts completed. That's on top of reading a book and most of a second one, and completing lesson plans for the year for one of my classes pretty much mapping out the whole course. Obviously that's subject to change throughout the year, but figured I'd get a jump on it on a bad beach day.

I have also met a new friend here. There are a lot of stray cats in the area, but this one, I'm calling Figaro, has been sleeping in the shade by my back door in the afternoons for four days now. He just curls up and takes his nap. 

I plan on hitting up Termoli some morning later this week, maybe Thursday. Zia is due in over the weekend along with my cousins so that'll be fun. It hit me today that it's already July 25. Time is flying by this summer.