Friday, August 14, 2015

Foodtopia Moments

The past couple of days have been busy crossing cultures between Italian and American. On Wednesday, I opened some dry rub that I brought from the States, added some bron sugar (brown sugar), and made ribs that I had purchased from two different butchers. One rack was spare ribs and the other was baby back. I dry rubbed the meat and placed them on a bed of garlic, onion, and sliced apples that were sitting in apple juice and sprinkled with the rub mix. Then I topped each pan with foil and baked three and a half hours on low heat. The meat was falling off the bone.

Then on Thursday, after we found out that the boat to Tremiti was full, Erik and I stopped for breakfast pizza and ate them inside the castle town walls in Termoli overlooking the beach clubs. My slice had mozzarella, achiugi (anchovies), escarole, and sliced pomodorini (little tomatoes). It was delicious with a great view.

Last night, while in Termoli at Anema & Core Ristorante, I had my first ever calzone in Italy. The ricotta was amazingly smooth without being runny, and even though there nearly no sauce it was full of flavor from the cheese, proscuito cotto (cooked ham) and funghi (mushrooms).


Tonight Mom, Erik and I went to BiGo, a new restaurant in Termoli that specializes in wine and small plates. Wanting a break from the monotony of mono-cultural food, we decided to go with the BiGo burger. It was a delicious mix of local beef, special sauce, local tomatoes, and lettuce.