Sunday, August 16, 2015

Holiday has come and gone

Well the weather outside is frightful, a fitting end to the holiday weekend here, which essentially signifies the end of the Italian summer vacation. Even though the little ones don’t head back to school until after September arrives, their parents head back to the grind this week. Many people I’ve spoken with have Monday off in observance of the holiday known as Ferragosto, but head back to work on Tuesday. (Ferragosto is an Italian and Sammarinese public holiday celebrated on August 15, coinciding with the major Catholic feast of the Assumption of Mary. It is also the summer vacation period around mid-August, which may be a long weekend (ponte di ferragosto) or most of August.- Sourced from Wikipedia)

Yesterday we celebrated by feasting with Zia. She cooked at her place and we provided the meat and fruit. Erik and I spent most of the day on the beach, culminating in Erik joining the locals for some beach volleyball games.

Today I decided that I was going to make a proper ragu (gravy). I set out early this morning in search of tomatoes, bread, meat, and pastries all before 9 in the morning, then I came home and began preparing. First I prepped the brasciola, then the polpette di carne (meatballs). Then I chopped a big batch of tomatoes, seasoned them and made the gravy. It was delicious.
 

After the gravy, I wanted to hit the beach. It was overcast, but not raining. That wouldn’t last long. By the time I had gotten back to the house and finished lunch, the heavens had opened. Erik and I went back to the beach to check it out after the rain, but it the sand and water were desolate, with the people who had hit the Lido spending their time by the clubhouse patio. For people celebrating their last day here, it must have stunk not being able to enjoy the water. Tomorrow looks like a better weather day, so that is a plus.