Saturday, July 30, 2016

Foodtopia Moments

Unless you’ve lived under a rock your entire life, you’ve heard of Tex-Mex food (or if you are in a country that is nowhere near Tex or Mex). Well, today I had a Italo-‘Merican dinner. We started off with a mix of salsiccia e verdure arrosto (roasted sausage and vegetables) left over from yesterday, including pomodorini (little tomatoes), cippole (onions), basilica (basil), melanzane (eggplant), zucchini, and pepperoni rossi (red peppers). I cooked it down it a little, then added some ditilini pasta. The result was a magnificent burst of vegetable flavors. It was truly a divine dish. That was the Italian part. The American part was that I dry rubbed and roasted fresh (I had to pull out lots of feathers) ali di pollo (chicken wings). I even made up a hot and honey sauce using a Colombian hot sauce that I found at the market the other day. Mixed with butter and honey, it was like I was sitting at a bar in New Jersey. It totally hit the spot.


The night before, Mom, Erik, Zia and I headed out to the Ristobar, a favorite spot for local cammionisti (truckers). They know how to eat, and the Ristobar is filled with delicious food. My pasta course was spaghetti allo scoglio, which has gamberi (shrimp), langostino (a small lobster-like shellfish), vongole (clams), and cozze (mussels) in a sugo di pomodoro (tomato sauce). Ristobar makes one of the best scoglio I’ve ever had. It was full of flavor all the way to the last bite. Erik had homemade gnocchi Bolognese, and Mom and Zia both had penne Bolognese. Their Bolognese sauce is the best we’ve had all summer. One other thing that sets this restaurant apart is the olio di pepperoncini (hot pepper oil). Most places have a bland, pre-seasoned olive oil. Ristobar has a container with oil and fresh peppers and it is potent, but delicious.