Friday, July 15, 2011

Basil Plants


This morning was busy, but I did try to pace myself by doing very little this afternoon. I took my afternoon “nap” by laying down with my foot up watching season two of “Lost” on my iPod. Amazing, five years later and the season is still good to watch. I haven’t seen these episodes since I first watched them in 2006 right after the end of season two. My biggest excitement besides sanding the loose paint off of my fence was buying and planting basil. The garden here has sage (which I never use, we give it away) and rosemary. Basil is free at the local fruit vendors along with parsley and celery. When I tell people that we pay for these things in America the people laugh at me. The craziest thing was that the basil plants were even there to find. I have never seen a place to buy plants in town before. However, today was a big street market in town about six blocks long. It is there every Friday morning, and is basically like a makeshift flea market. I sometimes find a bargain on table covers, towels for the beach, and pots and pans for the kitchen. I have great roasting pans in the kitchen here from that market. Plants, however, are new this year so I bought two. I think I will buy a mint plant next Friday.