Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sticking with Pedal Power

Today was pretty much what I think most of my days will be like here this year; hot with a nice breeze bending around the corner. I sanded the fence, cut down some of the plants/trees that have been attacked by bugs, and washed what I had sanded. I then rode my bike to a fish market for salmon, and hit up a bakery for a piece of zucchini pizza. I cooked today, cleaned, and then the fun began. I wanted to make a 3:26 train for Termoli, the next town up. I was planning on leaving at 2:45 for the mile and a half walk, but got held up and left at 3:00. I arrived at the station at 3:25 by my phone, only to hear an announcement of a 25-minute delay. I was sweating like a pig. It was damn near 90 and I had just walked a mile and a half in the sun, wearing dark clothes (to hide the sweat a little). I was heading to the “big city” to pay my car registration and ask about insurance. The six-month quote for insurance was $670 Euros, which is way beyond what I am willing to spend on a car worth about $1000 Euros. So me and the little green car are not going to be touring the roads this year.