Thursday, July 21, 2011

Energizer Bunny Day



I don’t know if the smell of espresso here can get me moving, or if a Columbian put “magic” flour in my pizza this morning, but I have been going nonstop today. And my feet have just about had it. It is going to be a night for Aleve.

After waking at 8:30, I was able to get some pizza and new rubber gloves for cleaning at the little market across the way. Then I cleaned the remaining two cement walls. While I am cleaning them, they do not look as clean as when they dry, but now the whole place looks much cleaner.

For the first time this year, I went to the beach to lay on the sand and tan a little. I am not good for just wasting time tanning, so I brought along some character development worksheets and developed the rest of the main characters for my script. There are some ancillary characters who will need to be added, but not developed for the story to progress. Check out the photos of the beach. The sky was perfect blue, and the water was still and decently clear. The sun was strong, but a slight breeze made it bearable.

After cooking, eating, and cleaning, I decided to go to Termoli, the next town up. My main purpose was so that I would not spend another night just sitting on the patio listening to 70-year-old people talk about their and the nation’s problems, which always conclude with some bashing of the United States and how if we hadn’t stuck our nose in the Middle East, their problems would not exist. America is a big easy target, but in no way are we at fault in Italy’s problems.

I tied some loose ends tonight. I was looking for another new bike, a little stronger for me to ride. I found it and I love it. It is a Bel Air model beach cruiser and the seat says “California Dream.” It was more than the first bike, but much stronger and a better bike altogether. At the train station, I purchased train tickets for Aggie and I to head to Venice for our cruise. We have an overnight train to Venice-Mestre, and thankfully we do not have to connect anywhere. It was the only train they have to Venice without a connection. I also visited the historic district of Termoli. (I will make another post with those photos.)

In all, I walked about five miles beginning with the mile and a half walk to the train station here in town, and rode the bike about two miles. I really do not know where I got the energy for today. Maybe Coke Zero over here has more caffeine.

My neighbor just came home as I am writing this, and she told me that there is a white party tonight along the Lungomare (a kind of strand near the beach with all of the premier beach clubs in town). It is supposed to last until 4 in the morning. I guess I will head out to check it out.

All that, and I also am on my third load of laundry.