Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I Hate Meetings


Today was our “reunione” or condo association meeting. It is also known as the day Italians need to part with their money. This is not an easy feat in a country where people haggle over every price and loathe paying full cost. I’ve been at the supermarket and watched Zia try and argue that her groceries should be less than they are because she is living on a pension.

At the meeting today, my second year in a row attending, she tried to argue that the condo association should pay for all of our water usage because people only live here two months out of the year. The meeting started a half hour late as we waited for more people to arrive (six, including myself and two people who mailed in their forms attended the meeting). It lasted an hour which was about 55 minutes too long. Only one person had any questions, my aunt. The other people in the meeting were growing restless by the time it was over. I paid my condo association dues for the year (72 Euros), and I was one my way.

The afternoon was a lazy one. It rained again. I was able to get 13 more pages of my script finished. Now I am up to 40 pages of almost all dialogue. I’m aiming for 100 pages (100 minutes). I also started the car for the first time in about three weeks. Check out the inside of the car. The metallic green on the door is actually the metal from the door.

My cousin Renato and his wife Dorette came by and took us out to dinner. We went to my favorite restaurant in town, Ristorante Netti. They had no idea about restaurants in the area, bust asked for a pizzeria and it is the best. They loved the food, and they are tough critics. I overheard Dorette on the phone with her son saying that the pizza was “buonissima” (fantastic).