Monday, August 4, 2014

68 Days of Summer – Day 40 – What a Beautiful Day for the Beach

Here we are, day 40, quaranta, and I am quarantined here in a beautiful paradise. When I woke up today, sweating, I knew it was going to be a day for the beach. However, I also had some shopping to do first. I took Mom up to Campomarino paese (the main part of town) to go shopping at Lidl, a German-based market with prices and layout similar to Aldi. We shopped for bargains, the biggest being on a head of lettuga trocadero (butter/Bibb/Boston lettuce, depending on your market and/or location). In America, a head of this lettuce will cost between $3 and $5, and it will be wrapped in a plastic container, free of its outer layers of leaves. Here it was 59 Euro cents a kilo, and our head was only 30 Euro cents (roughly $0.40). We also found Haas avocados for the first time in all of our years of coming to Italy, and they were 1 Euro a piece (roughly $1.30).


Once we got back to the house and put everything away, I trekked off to the beach for a couple of hours. I picked up more color on my face, but the rest of me has reached its bronzing point. I only take in so much sole (sun).