Friday, August 15, 2014

68 Days of Summer – Days 51 – Auguri

Buon Ferragosto! Today is the big summer holiday here in Italy, and it was a beautiful day for it. The sun was shining, and there was a breeze to keep it tolerable outside. I spent most of the day working on either cooking, gardening, sweeping, or prepping the house for our Sunday departure for Florence.

For the holiday, I made a sauce from scratch. I cooked up the tomatoes, carrots and onions yesterday and passed them to take out the seeds. Today, I heated the sauce up, and added the polpette (meatballs), pollo (chicken), and brasciola. I was going to also get a chicken from Ristorante Netti, but after waiting almost an hour and seeing only four people get served, I decided to walk away and head home. They’re truly an Italian business, allergic to money.


I then got motivated to start the process of preparing the house for our exit. We leave Sunday for Florence then off to Milan and the US. I locked the car gate, took down the outside fan paddles, and covered the climatizadore (air conditioner). I packed my suitcases as well, and I’m pretty much ready to go. A few odds and ends are left for tomorrow and early Sunday morning, and then we are off. 

Later tonight, we went over to Parco Del Mare ristorante and picked up some calamari. While we waited, we went for a walk through the pine forest behind the place out to the beach at sunset.