Wednesday, August 20, 2014

68 Days of Summer – Day 56– Mountains to Milano

As the summer draws to a close, I used today as a day of travel. Linda had a train to catch at 6:50 in the morning, and I had put in more than 4000 steps before 7 a.m. Mom and I were on the road before 8:30 for our almost four hour ride from Florence to Milan. Our ride was very neat as we snaked through the mountains. At time we would be at the top of a mountain pass, swimming through the clouds, and then we would enter a tunnel, only to emerge into sunlight with only a few clouds. It was an interesting ride to say the least.

When we got to Milan, we checked into our room at the Sheraton Hotel at Malpensa Airport. It is a wonderful hotel, with probably the nicest room I’ve stayed in while traveling in Europe. High ceilings, comfortable beds, oodles of room and a great bathroom are just some of the in-room features. The Hotel is also aesthetically pleasing, as you can see if you Google it.

Other than the traveling, we just hung out at the airport and the hotel. We found out where we each need to go tomorrow in order to check in, and as suspected, they have segregated the American carriers to a separate, more secure section of the airport. Still, it is easily accessible for my mother.


Tomorrow we fly home. Mom leaves around 10 a.m. headed for Newark, and I’m leaving around 4 p.m. heading to JFK. I hope I can stay awake once I land, because I have a lot of train travel to follow.