Wednesday, August 6, 2014

68 Days of Summer – Day 42 – From Thunder to Waves

I woke up on a mission to pay off all of our condo fees and repairs for the year. I knew I also wanted to pick up a melon or something for breakfast. Just as I was walking out the door, dressed for the beach but heading downtown, the sounds of thunder crackled across the sky.

As I looked to the left, there was a blue sky. To the right, over the Adriatic Sea, all I could see were low lying, dark grey clouds that were clearly spilling rain over the ocean. Lightning, thunder, and clouds does not bode well for a walk, nor a day at the beach. However, it was not raining on me. I grabbed an umbrella, and began my walk, still not a drop. Lots of loud thunder and lightning, but not a drop of rain. It wasn’t until I was home that we got a few drops, but it never rained.

We had already rented a beach umbrella and chairs for the next week at Lido Ritz, so after pranzo (lunch) Mom and I went to the beach. She stayed in the open air pavilion, and I went and spent two and a half hours getting sun, with a wind coming off the ocean that seemed to never end. No umbrellas could be opened on the beach because the wind was so strong. Only a few people were going in the water, as the waves and current were more than they are used to. The brave few who went in went diving into the three foot waves like they were gigantic. Normally there are no waves here because we have breakers about 100 yards offshore. Even though the sea was angry today, it was still a beautiful sight to behold.