Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Campomarino Alive

This week is a very busy time for the Campomarinians. Last night, in Campomarino paese, the main part of town up the hill, was the Santa Cristina festival. It’s a fun time, and definitely the biggest celebration the town has all summer. Without a car, I didn’t make the trip up to the main part of town. Tonight, I noticed a lot more street vendors, including a square full of people selling crafts, tools, and wooden toys (yes, even Pinocchio dolls}. They’ll be here through Sunday. Tomorrow is the Festa of Sant’Anna, which is a modest celebration here in Campomarino Lido, the beach part of town.

For me, it was a day of workmen visiting the house. I had electricians here this morning. They installed three ceiling fans in the house, which is long overdue. Mom and I had looked for fans several times, each time finding smaller ones we did not like, and being told that the stores are out of stock for the season. I bought my fans my first day in town, but have been waiting for an electrician to come and install them. They also fixed a bathroom light that I haven’t seen working since 2003. After they left I had lunch, swept inside the house and outside on the patio, and went to the beach, totally forgetting that I had made tentative plans for a plumber to come fix some stuff in the bathroom. So I hurried back (still had three hours at the beach), and had the plumber fix things. Hopefully that is all the work I’ll need this summer so I can focus on relaxing by the sea and writing.


Tomorrow I’m having pranzo (lunch – the main meal of the day) with Zia, but heading to the beach beforehand and possibly after. I am also thinking a Termoli run might be in the cards tomorrow night. I just need to check the train station for a taxi to get home. There still is no Uber here yet.