Monday, July 20, 2015

Foodtopia Moments


It’s been a couple of days, but I made sure to take some photos. One nice thing about the weekends here is that the bakery makes pane rustica, the rustic bread with different salamis, cheese, and olives baked right in. I had some for colazione (breakfast), then finished it up for cena (dinner). 

For cena a couple of nights ago, I roasted a mix of farm fresh veggies including zucchini, melanzane (eggplant), pepperoni gialli e rossi (peppers yellow and red), patate (potato), pomodorini (little tomatoes), cipolla (onion), basilico (basil), e olio di oliva (olive oil). It was great the first night. The next day, I mixed the leftovers with some more olio di oliva and pomodorini, then mixed in some flat pasta noodles. It was delicious with a smattering of Grana Padano cheese on top. 

Last night I had my first gelato of the season in honor of National Ice Cream Day. (I think I would’ve had it anyway.) I had a mix of pistachio, Malaga (like a rum raison), and stracciatella (like vanilla with chocolate pieces running through it). Mom had extra dark chocolate and marscpone and fig. They had a ricotta and pear one that I want to try soon as well. 

We’ve also been slowly finishing (to avoid cavities and diabetes) the four marzipan “fruits” we bought the other day. I thought they were more almond paste than these are, though I always have almond left in my mouth when I’m done. So that means they’re healthy.