Thursday, July 30, 2015

Rain can’t dampen the night

As is a recurring theme this summer, today was hot. With temps in the 90s, Mom decided to stay in. Zia and I went to the markets this morning, and I ended up going to the beach alone a couple of times today. The beach in the evening about 5 p.m. is alive with people. People who work in the morning come for the first time, and the vacationers return after their siesta.


Tonight was the first time I’ve seen my cousin Renato and his wife Dorette. We headed out to Ristorante Netti and had a great meal as usual. Even the rain, which arrived in force about 10 minutes after my cousin got to our place, couldn’t dampen the fun. With the thunder and lightning already present, we decided to drive the mile and a half to the restaurant. We hadn’t even gotten out of the driveway when the heavens opened. As we were driving through rain and hail, I saw lightning strike so close that I could see sparks around it. Needless to say, we waited in the car a bit for the rain to stop so we could eat. Luckily I let everyone out when it died down, because by the time it stopped the restaurant was filled to capacity with a line of people waiting. Even though the rain stopped while we were eating, when we got back, the parking lot near my house had transformed into a lake, and Renato’s car was dead in the center of it. So we thought quick, threw some bags over his shoes, and he hopped in the car.