Saturday, July 25, 2015

Zia has landed

For the first time quest’estate (this summer), I saw Zia. Today, Mom and I ventured into San Severo to pick her up and bring her to Campomarino. She was pretty sick earlier this month, spending a week in the hospital, but seems to be feeling better and getting stronger every day. We ate lunch together and even spent an hour and a half talking tonight. My Italian is rusty. I seem to understand things fine, I’m just having trouble recalling words. I’m out of practice.

After lunch with Zia and a little down time, we set off for Lido Ritz and our spot in the evening sun. The beach was alive tonight. Kids were swimming, families were talking, and people were playing volleyball and soccer. Not to knock my volleyball team that I coached, but the beach had some real players that likely could’ve beaten our team. When you ask people, volleyball is probably Italy’s second most popular sport. The tramonte (sunset) was also beautiful tonight, filling the sky with a mix of orange and purple.


The plan tomorrow is for a longer, sunnier, beach day.