Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Oh baby, it’s cold inside

About 10 years ago I was touring il Coloseo in Rome with a best friend. During the tour, the guide (we beat the line by jumping in a tour group) delivered to the group a line that he presented as a joke. “Italians are allergic to work,” he said. Living here the past seven summers, I’m beginning to think that for many Italians, he was not joking. I have been trying since Friday to get a repairman here for the air conditioner. Today, the guy’s phone wasn’t even turned on. He was the person recommended by anyone and any store I asked. So I called a repairman who works on washing machines, and he gave me a number for a different guy. That guy was here in less than 15 minutes, and was out of here with a job well done in less than 20 minutes. So my tour guide 10 years ago was only half kidding around.
 
After we got the AC working, mom and I headed out to the beach. We got there late and stayed late, with me broiling my skin red for the first day in the sun. Only 29 more days, though a strong sun screen cream will be applied tomorrow. The Adriatic Sea was calm today, and warm, like a bathtub warm. It was about 97 today as well. When we left the house, we had left the AC running. When we returned, it reminded me of walking into the meat packing plants in Philly ask a kid with my dad. I didn’t know whether to breathe a sigh of relief from the stifling heat, or order a case of salami.


Mom and I both took a rest once we got back, the first time I laid down without sweating all season. Tonight at midnight, there are supposed to be fireworks at the beach.