Wednesday, July 16, 2014

68 Days of Summer – Day 21 – The Work Begins

Every year, there’s a bunch of cleaning that has to be done. Just like any beach house in the world, the condo is musty and the textiles left here for the winter all have an odor. I’ve already completed four loads of laundry in just under 24 hours. I picked up eight huge gardening bags filled with weed clippings. And tonight I washed the outside patio, which could be washed again every two days.

I also made it to the fruitivendoli (farmer’s market) and got some supplies for the house. My 8 euro bounty included three heads of garlic, free basil, two pounds of tomatoes, a canary melon, zucchini, cucumbers, eggplant, onions, potatoes, and red peppers. 
Today was Zia’s 77th birthday so we celebrated with a semi-freddo cake. Basically, it’s half cake and half whipped cream that you keep frozen until about 45 minutes before eating. I didn’t get my camera on it in time to show a photo.

In case anyone wonders what I was driving yesterday, it was a FIAT Qubo (ku-bo). It handled the road well, had good pickup, and the A/C worked well.