Thursday, July 17, 2014

68 Days of Summer –Day 22 – Who needs to work?


I had my alarm set for 7:30 this morning with plans to get up, drop off the rental car, get back and have the inside of the condo all cleaned and clothes put away before pranzo (lunch) with Zia. Well, my new ZTE brand phone does not have a setting that limits snoozing, so I slept for an extra hour (only seven hours total). I finally got to the Hertz office, which would’ve been easy if I’d have had my GPS with me because they moved, and then went to the train station. No trains for two and a half hours. My chances of cleaning before lunch were done.

“Stuck” in Termoli, Italy, I made the most of my morning. I visited some local shops, picked up a slice of pizza with melanzane (eggplant), and went walking toward the ancient part of the city. It was a beautiful day with plenty of sun and plenty of wind to keep me cool. I meandered into the castle town, and stopped along the wall overlooking the Adriatic and its beaches to eat my colazione (breakfast) pizza. It was a beautiful scene, very peaceful.

Ancient Termoli in the morning is very different than it is at night. In the evenings, the area is alive with street vendors, filled sidewalk cafes, and people out for a passegiatta (nightly stroll) with a creamy gelato in one hand and talking with the other. In the mornings, however, it is a sleepy part of town with most locals emerging from their seaside homes, sweeping their entrances, pruning their micro-gardens, greeting their neighbors, and of course heading to the Duomo (church) in honor of the town’s patron saint, San Basso. The people are warm and welcoming, and almost everyone said “buon giorno” (good day/hello).


I then sat along the port side of the castle town and watched the fishermen come and go. The tourist boats were already long gone for their Isole Tremiti run, but the port was still busy with activity. Slowly I made my way back to the train station, stopping for a small cornetti (small breakfast pastry) and a Crodino (a bitter Italian orange drink that I love). After people watching for a half hour, it was time to go home. I had managed to put in 10,000 steps before lunch, and would go on to spend my early evening cleaning after a mid-day, post-pranzo repose (nap).