Saturday, July 26, 2014

68 Days of Summer – Day 31 – Milano Bound

Mom is arriving in Milan tomorrow morning, so I came up the night before. I began my day at 7 a.m., carrying my 25 pound overnight backpack on a 30 minute walk to the train station. I managed to see Campomarino as it was just waking up. The Piazzas were empty, as were the streets. The butchers and bakers were just opening their gates to the public. The farmer’s market was still hopping. I had a little bit of a wait at the train station, but I was in Termoli with about 30 minutes to spare before my six-hour train to Milan. Thankfully I had splurged the extra 30 Euros for first class and for a direct train with no switching. It was funny on the train at about 1 p.m. Like clockwork, passengers began rummaging through their bags and pulled out snacks, Panini (sandwiches), and patatine (potato chips). The citizens of the Italy have a feeding schedule, and they stick to it.

Once I got to Milan, I made the decision to do some sightseeing before going to the hotel, which would’ve set me back two hours in my sightseeing efforts. It also meant doing all of my walking today with a weight on my back. Just more exercise and a definite savings in time.

I managed to see the Duomo inside and out, as well as walking through the fortezza (fort). With all due respect to the Milanese, this city should never make it onto someone’s bucket list. It is a nice city for locals, but lacks the draw, history and feel of more interesting cities like Rome, Florence and Venice.  The Duomo here is very nice to see. It has a gothic style, and inside it is very dark and impressive. The fort was an interesting sight as well, and the grounds behind the fort serve the Milanese as a sort of Central Park with activities for kids and adults like running tracks, basketball courts, and playgrounds. There is also a large amount of open green space, which attracted several people with Frisbees.


Looking for a restaurant was not as simple as I would’ve thought. I was searching for about an hour with no luck. Everything I saw was just bars with burger menus, quick service pizza places, and steak houses (I’m overly cautious with European beef – see Mad Cow Disease). So I went back to the airport, and I ate dinner at the hotel bar at the Sheraton, where I will be staying with Mom on August 20. Then I made my way to the Holiday Inn Express, grabbed a gin and tonic at the bar, and headed off to bed. Tomorrow is a long drive back to Campomarino.