Saturday, July 28, 2012

Beached at Lido Ritz


Last night was beautiful in Termoli, and when we returned to Campomarino we decided to watch the opening ceremonies of the London Olympics. We watched as all of the pageantry took place and then we waited for the United States’ athletes to enter the arena. And we waited. And waited. And waited. The Italians next door watched Italy’s Olympians enter, then shut off their TV (which is on their patio) and went to bed. An hour or so later we did the same.

Needless to say we were tired this morning, and didn't get to the Lido Ritz beach club until almost 10:30. Luckily, Zia was cooking today, so we could stay at Lido Ritz until it was time to eat. After lunch, Mom took a repose (or siesta depending on where in Italy you are, basically a nap) and I went online to look at emails and work on more travel reservations (Florida is booked, because five weeks in Italy isn’t enough).

Tonight we went back to the beach club, where I applied two hours of late afternoon sun directly to my back. I didn’t feel it at the time, but when I took my shower I distinctly felt the sting of sunburn. Tomorrow, I’ll work on bronzing both sides of me. My goal is to get dark enough to carry my tan all the way into the first week of school.

Zia had a problem today with her 21-year-old television remote, so we bought a new universal remote. While we were out, I stopped for some gas. I filled up 38 liters for 65 Euros (or 9.5gallons for $81.25 plus my bank’s international conversion of about $1.75). Fortunately for me this car takes diesel fuel, which is 15 Eurocents cheaper than unleaded. Talk about pain at the pump. I had to fill up today because supposedly there is a strike happening tomorrow and gas stations will be closed. I don’t have plans to head anywhere tomorrow, but just in case, I thought it’d be a good time to fill up.